Sunday, April 10, 2016

What Happens When a Wedding Dress Designer Makes Her Own Gown!

Sabrina Dahan is one very busy lady. Not only is she working on her new Spring 2017 Bridal Collection, but the Los Angeles-based talent is in the middle of planning her August wedding — and designing her own wedding dress! We sat down with Sabrina in her super chic LA studio to talk all things pretty, including her new collection, her bridal accessories, and of course, the dress! Take a peek at all the gorgeous photos from Rebecca Yale Photography and, don’t forget to follow along with SMP as we highlight the stunning new gowns at Bridal Market!#SMPbridalweek

Why did you decide to design your own wedding dress?

I decided to design my own dress because I am lucky enough to have the opportunity to make a gown that is unique to me on my special day. I want to create a gown that is going to be perfectly flattering and compliment the wedding, making sure everything is cohesive.

How will your wedding dress be different than your newest collection?

Well, I don’t think it will be very different from the Spring 2017 collection. The gown that I have designed is definitely cohesive with the rest of the collection in terms of fabrication and silhouette. It’s top secret, but I’ll give you a hint – it’s a ball gown!

Tell us a little bit about your wedding.

I cannot believe that my wedding is just 5 months away and there is still so much planning to do! The big day will be held at the Skirball Center in Los Angeles in August. I am so excited about this space! We are still working through the aesthetic of the party and currently working on finding the perfect florist to turn my vision into a reality.

Tell us about your new collection.

I am so excited about Spring 2017!! Considering that I am a bride to be and constantly have wedding brain, one of my main focuses during the wedding planning process has been the flowers. I have discovered a complete love for floral arrangements! I am constantly drawing inspiration for my collections from art and this season I came across a few beautiful paintings of still-life floral arrangements by Renoir and Manet. In addition to the beautiful painted colors in some of these canvases, I also took notice to the intricate brocade frames that hold these amazing pieces of art. I am so excited to spice up the bridal world with this splash of color!

Where did you look for inspiration for your own dress?

For my gown, I drew inspiration from aspects of my wedding, the venue, time of year and flowers.

How has the experience of designing your own dress differed from that of designing a collection?

I think that the only difference between designing a dress for the collection and designing one for myself is the pressure. When it comes to the dresses in my collection, I feel I am more decisive when making creative decisions. During the process of designing my own dress, I’ve found it difficult to decide exactly what I want because I want it to be special and really reflect my personal style as well.

What do you look for in fabrics?

I look for a sense of delicacy and prettiness. When searching for fabrics, I go with the connection I feel when I see a swatch for the first time. Because each one dress in the collection is special and tells its own story, the fabric must have a wow factor. When I come across a beautiful swatch of fabric, I know instantaneously that it will have a home in my collection.

Did you look at any other wedding dresses to help you design yours?

Of course! I have been in the industry now for 5 years and am always looking at what is popular and what is available to all brides.

How will you accessorize your dress on the big day?

I most definitely will be wearing a veil on my wedding day! I also hope to wear some sort of headpiece either during the ceremony or to the reception. My dream is to feel like a princess!

What advice would you give to brides looking to work with a designer on a custom dress?

The beauty of being a custom bride is to enjoy the collaboration process with the designer. I advise the bride to be extra vocal about what she wants because after all it’s that one special day!

As a bride, what is your biggest fashion piece of advice for the wedding?

As a bride myself, one of my biggest concerns is looking back on wedding photographs one day and feeling that my wedding day look wasn’t timeless and may be overly trendy causing a sense of regret. My advice is to choose a gown that is unique yet beautiful and everlasting.

Most important piece of advice?

My advice is take one task a time, one day at a time. This applies to the intense and hectic fashion life and the even more hectic bride-to-be life.

Vault CTA

Vault CTA

Photography: Rebecca Yale Photography | Wedding Dress: Sabrina Dahan

© Style Me Pretty, 2016. | Permalink | Comments | Add to del.icio.us
Post tags:
Post categories: The Blog



from Style Me Pretty http://ift.tt/23mkPZH

No comments:

Post a Comment