Thursday, December 17, 2015

Chic NYC Wedding at The Park Restaurant

Can I just start by insisting that you must – and I mean MUST – read this love story below from the groom. He tells the most adorable tale of their first Instagram encounter, that’s the very definition of a digital “meet-cute.” It’ll make you love this NYC wedding all the more, featuring bloom from Designs By Ahn and images by CLY BY MATTHEW.  More fun inside THE VAULT!

Colors
Seasons
Fall
Settings
ChurchEatery
Styles
Classic

From The Groom… Back in May of 2013, I got a notification “alicejchung liked your photo.” As I didn’t “know” anyone named Alice, I swiped to see what photo she liked. My first observation? She didn’t have many pictures of herself. My second observation? She didn’t post that often. I was intrigued to say the least and naturally spent the next hour looking through her feed, comments and friends. I finally found one!

I followed her and she followed me back.

Flash forward 7 months later…

I woke up one morning in December thinking of her. I didn’t remember her name, her face was fuzzy, but I remember her name started with an A. If it sounds random, it absolutely was. There wasn’t a dream, a specific thought, or a Korean dish I was craving that made me think of her (haha.) I quickly checked my follower list and there she was. She was consistent – not many pictures of her and not many updates. I sat up in bed, late for work and had a thought. Later that afternoon, I asked my buddies Q and Sung, and my sister what they thought about me asking out a girl on Instagram. All (3) of them laughed and said “Why not? Now let me see her profile!”

The original idea was to keep it light – a quick drive-by comment as I call it today, on a photo asking her out for a cup of coffee. I was ready. As I was about to comment, I realized, every person I was connected to was going to see that I wrote this comment. I pressed pause and re-evaluated. At this point my only other option was to send her a DM (they had just came out!) DM’s were tricky as they were much more intentional and candidly awkward! I had to send a photo along with a caption. After a couple of weeks, I finally sent her a photo of the polar vortex (I like taking pics of the city) and politely asked her out to a cup of coffee or a bite to eat ( I didn’t ask her out for a drink!) I knew she was in LA but what did I have to lose? I felt good about myself and the message. Perhaps too polite but more importantly, I was glad I followed through on it.

Later that night I was running at the gym and got a notification that said “Alicejchung has read your message.” I damn near flew off the treadmill. I txtd Q, Sung and my sister that she read it. They all said “did she reply!??” – of course I said, of course she will!

On the 11th hour of day 2 – she replied!

Here’s the odd thing about this. If you know Alice you know she is a) never aware of notifications, messages, etc and b) is not the most tech savvy person. For her to upgrade the app to the latest version AND know about Instagram direct message AND know where to check it in the app, is about as much proof that miracles do exist!

We went back and forth on IG. IG became email. Email became text. Text became voice. Then we spoke to each other an average of 2 hours a night for 5 weeks.

I was planning to be in LA end of Feb or early March. We met on a Thursday night and spent every day together until I left that Sunday. We never said “goodbye”, only “see you later” and focused on the next time we would see each other. Our schedules were flexible and through the balance of our first year, we saw each other every 2-3 weeks for 2 weeks at a time. We averaged seeing each other 1 time every 3.2 days. Then 20 months later, we got married.

Vault CTA

Photography: CLY BY MATTHEW | Floral Design: Designs By Ahn | Wedding Dress: Shin Bu Bridal | Invitations: Wedding Paper Divas | Ceremony Venue: St. Paul NY | Reception Venue: The Park | Bridesmaids' Dresses: Rent The Runway | Makeup: Renee Lee | Hair: Luis Payne | Calligraphy: Alex Ryan Roque | DJ: Stem Productions | Groom's Attire: Black Lapel

© Style Me Pretty, 2015. | Permalink | Comments | Add to del.icio.us
Post tags:
Post categories: Modern, Real Weddings, The Blog



from Style Me Pretty http://ift.tt/1NrPSs4

No comments:

Post a Comment