Thursday, November 5, 2015

Behind the Scenes with Winston Flowers

You know them as some of the most renowned wedding pros on the East Coast, but today we’re going behind the scenes with the wildly talented designers of Winston Flowers. Our girl Ruth Eileen captured as each designer showcased their signature style, and sat down to talk career, trends, and advice for all you soon-to-bes. Scroll on for the full Q&As, and head to The Vault for each and every inspiring image.

Tori Samuel

Special Events Designer – Winston Flowers

Tell us a little about your background and how you got into floral design.

TS: Creativity runs in my family. My mother was an avid gardener, floral arranger and sewer. My father worked in advertising and had a knack for illustration and an eye for interior design. Our homes in Bronxville, NY and Nantucket were beautifully decorated with interesting wallpapers and curated collections. I was destined to do something creative with my life! I began taking floral design classes in elementary school—and as I grew up, I found my own talents in illustrating and designing perennial gardens. When I moved to Nantucket, I met an event and floral designer named Robin Bergland. She was amazingly creative, and her events and home reflected a very beautiful and personal style. This is where I found my niche. To this day, I see Robin’s influence in my work and in my home. I walked through the door of Winston Flowers almost 13 years ago and have never looked back. 

Describe your signature style in 3 words.

TS: Soulful. Curated. Cohesive.

What floral trend will stand the test of time?

TS: Classic design. Over the years the look has changed, but the definition has stayed the same.

Your favorite quote that describes your creative process?

TS: “Designing is no longer just about putting stems in a vase anymore, but rather a contemplative, sincere and purposeful approach which is as much about the people you are creating for as the space in which the arrangement will go.” – Emily Thompson

What is a small design change that can make a big impact?

TS: Simple Change #1- Use seasonal flowers. They are the most beautiful and impactful. In the fall, use foliage, branch and dahlias; in the winter, amaryllis and tulips; in the spring, ranunculus, flowering branch and peonies; and in the summer, grasses and colorful Dutch hydrangea. Simple Change #2- Hire a vendor who offers unique options for floral containers and candlelight.

#1 piece of advice for brides when deciding their wedding florals.

TS: Choose a floral and event designer you connect with—someone who understands your vision and can help bring it to the next level. Trust the professionals and take a few chances. This should be fun!

Tell us about your design for the photo shoot.

TS: I wanted to create a colorful autumn palette – using vibrant reds, oranges and yellows – with seasonal fruits, pops of citrus and crabapple branch. I loved taking a different spin on fall, moving away from dark colors and rustic textures. Then I selected materials that were textural, lush and unexpected: garden roses, crabapple branch, ranunculus, viburnum foliage, berries, jasmine vine, parrot tulips, cryptanthus and Meyer lemons. While these materials are always beautiful and would look good in any vessel, I really wanted them to pop. I thought the green jadeite vases were perfect for this, as they have an unexpected and eye-catching color with traditional lines.

In terms of design, I wanted the composition to be simple and let the flowers tell the story. I chose a collection of vase shapes and laid them out on the long white table. I started with the crabapple branch to create strong lines. Then, it was important each flower and each texture had their moment—making sure nothing was overcrowded or lost. The composition was loose and looked somewhat effortless. I finished by adding loose crabapples and vibrant orange Meyer lemons around the vase of the collection.

Benjamin Newbold

Creative Director of Events & Floral Design – Winston Flowers

Tell us a little about your background and how you got into floral design.

BN: Having grown up on a farm in Illinois, I gained an appreciation for hard work and the beauty of nature. I loved art from an early age and eventually left the farm for an education in fine arts at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC). This led me to many collaborations, including backstage work in theater—which was also when I stumbled into a part-time job in flower design. After moving to Boston, I started working with studio and event florists in the area and found my way to Winston Flowers. My evolution into a floral event designer makes it possible for me to combine my interest in art with my love for nature and what it produces.

Describe your signature style in 3 words.

BN: Natural. Modern. Romantic.

What floral trend will stand the test of time?

BN: Simple, pretty flowers.

Your favorite quote that describes your creative process?

BN: “Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.” -Salvador Dali

What is a small design change that can make a big impact when it comes to wedding florals?

BN: Edit everything to what you love—don’t add elements just because you are “supposed to.”

#1 piece of advice for brides when deciding their wedding florals.

BN: Trust your decisions.

Provide an overview of what you created for the photo shoot.

BN: I was inspired by and focused on the best of the early autumn season in a simple green and white color scheme. The centerpiece features abundant mixed varieties of white dahlias with variegated English ivy, pokeweed, stemona japonica rikyuso vine, snowberry and fern in white resin vessels by Tina Frey. I gathered the dahlias in a linear mound and allowed the green elements to peek through and the vines to spill out of the smooth white vessel, which contrasts the unfinished wood surface of the table. Opalescent vessels with green gold interiors hold candles to add another level to the table design. For the bouquet, I flipped the color ratio and concentrated on green with hellebores, ranunculus, fern and then featured white Japanese anemones bundled and entwined in stemona japonica rikyuso vine.

Michael Ciano

Special Events Designer – Winston Flowers

Tell us a little about your background and how you got into floral design.

MC: My career really started when I moved to New York in the early 1990’s. I answered an ad at the New York Botanical Garden, where I was taking floral design classes in my spare time. The ad was posted by an event designer looking for extra help with event design and floral work. I didn’t have much experience, but I reached out anyway. We met at a coffee shop in the West Village, we clicked and she hired me.  After she “taught me the ropes” for a few months in New York, we were off to Paris to design lavish parties and events for some of her wealthy clientele that were based there. It was surreal!

Upon my return from Paris and another year working for her, I set out on my own seeking work in the high end floral shops of New York City. It wasn’t easy—no one would hire me! After persistently pounding the pavement and being almost totally broke, I finally found a job at a very chic Manhattan floral shop. I spent the next three years fine-tuning my floral design skills, buying at the flower market on W 28th Street and eventually managing the shop. I was then able to take that experience on paths which lead me to opportunities at several premier event design companies throughout New York and eventually to Boston and Winston Flowers.

Describe your signature style in 3 words.

MC: Clean. Modern. Sophisticated.

What floral trend will stand the test of time?

MC: Single variety design that lets the flowers speak for themselves. I think some of the most impactful designs feature one type of flower, arranged in a simple and abundant way. Whether this means lots of similar flowers arranged in a vase or a composite of single variety vases grouped together for a bold, cohesive look, the result is always amazing and will stand the test of time.

Your favorite quote that describes your creative process?

MC: A friend who is an interior designer once told me: “Let the materials you’re working with be what they are.” These days everyone is looking for the next ground breaking design idea—when sometimes a simple bowl of tulips is just right! I try to let the flowers stand on their own without manipulating them into something they’re not.

What is a small design change that can make a big impact when it comes to wedding florals?

MC: Great lighting, whether it be achieved through a lighting company or something as simple as votive candlelight. It really enhances the flowers and the entire look of the space.

#1 piece of advice for brides when deciding their wedding florals.

MC: Stay true to your style, be yourself and don’t let anyone talk you into something you don’t want or like! After all, it’s most important that you’re happy.

Provide an overview of what you created for the photo shoot.

MC: This color palette is a favorite of mine. I felt comfortable working with deep, rich colors and lots of texture—to me, it portrays a warm, inviting and comforting display.Inspired by the autumnal surroundings, I created a tablescape reminiscent of a harvest feast. I primarily used lots of small textures instead of big flowers, as I wanted the design to be distinctive. Introducing fruit, vegetables, nuts and berries into a design really brings forth a feeling of bounty. Specifically, I used anemones, kale, figs, persimmon, grasses and berries. The elements were natural and rustic yet sophisticated in balanced earth tones of plum, burgundy, gold and green.

The two long rustic vessels worked well for this tablescape because they mirrored the shape of the rectangular zinc and wood table and added drama to the design. Using many small, interesting textures allowed me to show lots of different elements that worked well together. The wood brought a more casual vibe to the presentation and I dressed up the table a bit with the place settings. The muted colors with pops of brighter tones play off of each other, creating harmony.

What I love about this display is how it can work in many different wedding venues. It makes perfect sense in the country—in a rustic setting like a barn, under a tent on a farm or in a woodland garden. In a modern setting such as a warehouse, raw space or hotel ballroom, it would be unexpected but still work beautifully. Lastly, I designed a bouquet to complement the overall aesthetic in warm, earth and wood tones using garden roses and again, lots of textures. The colors are raspberry, burgundy, merlot, rose, chocolate brown and a hint of ivory.

Photography: Ruth Eileen Photography | Floral Design: Winston Flowers | Benjamin's Chairs, Plates & Napkins: Peterson Party Center | Benjamin's Florals: Winston Flowers | Benjamin's Table: New England Country Rentals | Benjamin's Table Containers: Tina Frey | Michael's Chairs: Peterson Party Center | Michael's Floral & Containers: Winston Flowers | Michael's Napkins: Table Toppers | Michael's Table: New England Country Rentals | Tori's Chairs: Peterson Party Center | Tori's Floral, Containers & Table: Winston Flowers | Tori's Napkins: Table Toppers

© Style Me Pretty, 2015. | Permalink | Comments | Add to del.icio.us
Post tags: ,
Post categories: Color Palettes, The Blog, Wedding Flowers, Wedding Resources, Wedding Style



from Style Me Pretty http://ift.tt/1GNfdgw

No comments:

Post a Comment